1 Jan 2014

New year, new me? Not quite.

I have never been a fan of the New Year. Killjoy, here, sorry. I simply don't agree with the idea of there being one time, one day, to decide to change a whole years worth of regrets and mistakes. Then again, I don't disagree with those who do use it as a landmark day to really embrace the things they want to change. You've got to start somewhere, and if that's what helps you, I wish you all the luck.

So saying that, I am a fan of *reasonable* resolutions.

I haven't done a great deal, for myself, this year, so that's going to be one of mine. To do the things that I want to do, without creating reasons why I can't or shouldn't. Even if I have to do them alone. (But hopefully not.) I have also decided I will make a conscious effort to spend less time on my Macbook, and to read more, especially now I own my very own Kindle. 

For me though, what I enjoy more is keeping a memory jar to see what's made me smile, and to see what I've achieved this year.  So what have I done for the first time this year? 

Personal achievements:

  • I went ice skating. Sadly, no pics. Bad photographer moment.
  • I had my one year anniversary with Jack. 
  • I learnt how to pull a pint after getting a job with the worst boss known to man. 
  • I spent a whole weekend home alone.
  • I earnt and saved over a thousand pounds (to put towards my camera), a big accomplishment for a spendaholic. 
  • I sold something on eBay. 
  • I went out, legally.
  • I made my first pair of wire earrings. Next step: sell a pair.
  • I made my first bank deposit, like a responsible adult.
  • I learnt to pole dance. 
  • I learnt how to shoot and develop film all by myself.
  • I learnt how to be less selfish, and ultimately spent quite a lot of money to take my father to see one of his favourite comedians which was genuinely one of the best nights of the year because he loved it so much. 

Professional:

  • I had and still have more than one (more than two) jobs at once, workaholic over here. 
  • I got explored on Flickr, multiple times! I now have over 300 contacts, amazingly.
  • I shot my first studio shoot.
  • I got an unconditional offer to study photography.
  • Getty Images approached me via Flickr.
  • I started working for the biggest sports and event Photography company in the UK & Ireland: DEPhoto.
  • I got paid to photograph my home city's fresher's bar crawl.
"People inspire you, or they drain you. Pick them wisely." - Hans F. Hansen



4 comments:

  1. i make intentions instead of resolutions :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've done so much last year! I do resolutions every New year(main ones), but I write mini resolutions every month too and try to accomplish it :)
    Followed you, you've great blog ;)
    Muilo Burbulai

    ReplyDelete
  3. happy new year!!!

    http://www.getcarriedaway.net/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great achievements! Especially the photography ones!
    I should go on Flickr more often! =)

    ReplyDelete